|Level||IBA 5 ($85,089 – $94,338)|
|Duration||12 months with possibility of extension|
|Contact||Shanti Rama on 02 9207 6375 or email|
|Closing date||28 March 2018|
* This position is being advertised under provisions of the Racial Discrimination Act that enable special measures to identify particular opportunities as open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants.
IBA is seeking a lawyer to join its high-calibre Legal Services team in Sydney Office to promote IBA’s vision.
IBA’s vision is for a nation in which the First Australians are economically independent and an integral part of the economy. IBA serves, partners and invests with Indigenous Australians who want to own their future.
We provide financial products and services, and we go further: we invest in people, places and ideas that are ready. We assist Indigenous Australians to buy their own homes, own their businesses and invest in commercial ventures that provide strong financial returns and can also provide employment, training and supply chain opportunities.
The Legal Services team is responsible for providing legal advice and support to all areas of IBA (Housing Solutions, Business Solutions, Investment and Asset Management and Business Services), including to the Executive, Board and Board committees.
The successful applicant will advise on a diverse range of commercial and administrative matters to promote IBA’s vision. They will engage with all of IBA’s business areas and work as part of the dynamic and innovative Legal Services team with the support and supervision of the General Counsel and Senior Lawyers. The position is offered for a 12 month term with the possibility of it being extended.
- Provide legal advice to IBA’s business areas on a diverse range of matters including: transactional work (including acquisitions, divestments, development of new products and corporate structuring), negotiation of commercial agreements (including leases, services agreements and confidentiality agreements), employment matters, finance and debt recovery matters, statutory interpretation, ministerial reporting, administrative law matters, funds management, intellectual property matters and dispute resolution matters (including complaints handling).
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a precedent bank of standard contracts and legal advices.
- Develop knowledge and capacity across IBA to manage legal risks and issues, including by preparing and delivering training to IBA staff and stakeholders.
- Sourcing external legal advice, when necessary, including assisting business areas obtain value for money for legal services.
- Improve IBA’s corporate governance, including by assisting to develop policies and procedures.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge and experience
- An understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with them.
- Experience in providing practical legal advice on issues relating to commercial and administrative law and governance.
- Experience in drafting and reviewing legal documents.
Skills and attributes
- Well-developed oral and written communication, influencing and conflict resolution skills, including demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with non-lawyers and the ability to explain legal issues concisely.
- Personal drive and integrity, including sound judgement and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Experience in working effectively and independently in a high volume environment and ability to meet commercial deadlines.
- A degree in law from an Australian university or the equivalent, admission as a legal practitioner in Australia. At least three years’ post admission experience desirable.
- Capacity to travel on occasion, which may involve overnight absences.