Through its Business Development and Assistance Program, Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) assists Indigenous Australians to establish, acquire and grow small to medium businesses. Whether you are just starting out, or already in business, IBA can tailor its support services to your individual business needs.
IBA provides existing and prospective business owners with financial assistance to enable you to access expert advice, and information and guidance on business related matters. This can include help with:
- developing your business plan
- managing business finances
- establishing a website
- planning business growth
- succession planning
- the sale of your business.
Business support is offered through IBA’s self-paced Into Business™ workshops and/or planning with experienced business consultants.
A consultant can also assist if your business is not performing well, by analysing your operations and performance issues and developing strategies to resolve those issues.
Find out more about the Business Development and Assistance Program through:
- the Into Business™ workshops
- the Your Business and IBA brochure (PDF 2.3MB, new window)
- our business ownership Good News Stories.
IBA suggests you visit business.gov.au (external website, new window) for up-to-date small business information. This valuable, whole-of-government resource offers simple and convenient access to the information, forms and services you need to plan, start and grow your business.
If you are interested in participating in the Business Development and Assistance Program, please read and take note of the eligibility requirements, then phone us and follow the prompts to discuss your business ideas with one of our staff.
If IBA is satisfied that you and your business meet its eligibility criteria, you will be invited to attend IBA’s Into Business™ workshops or to submit a formal business support application form.
A formal application for business support requires:
- provision of a business support application form – in which you will be asked to outline your personal and business details, and your business support needs. If required, our staff can provide assistance to help you complete this form.
- provision of an Aboriginality or Torres Strait Islander Descent form (PDF 328KB, new window) – which will ask for evidence of Aboriginality or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- a current VEDA Credit Reference Slim Report - a personal credit history that can be obtained by visiting Veda Advantage (external website, new window).
- your participation in an interview with one of IBA’s staff, either in person or over the phone.
IBA will usually advise you of the outcome of your request for business support within ten working days of receiving your application. If successful, you may be invited to attend a series of business readiness workshops which are conducted by IBA for new and/or aspiring entrepreneurs.
If your application for business support is approved you will be invited to select a suitably qualified business consultant from IBA’s register of business consultants.
We encourage you to spend time talking to each of the recommended consultants before you decide who might be the best fit for your business. As soon as you advise us of your selection, you and your consultant can begin to work together to discuss what assistance you need. Initial planning advice and ongoing assistance may be all the help you require to take your idea or business to the next level.
After receiving business support through this program, clients will often make an application for Business Finance to help develop their business idea. IBA staff can also assist with this application.