|Level||IBA Level 5 (Salary $86,365-95,753)|
|Duration||12 months non-ongoing|
|Contact||Shanti Rama by phone 02 9207 6375or email.|
|Closing date||30 November 2018|
|Applications||How to apply for this role|
Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) is established under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005 and is a dynamic organisation that promotes and encourages self-management, self-sufficiency and economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
IBA is a significant contributor to the goals of the Australian Government’s Indigenous Economic Development Strategy, aimed at closing the gap between the living standards of Indigenous and other Australians.
IBA identifies and pursues opportunities that enable Indigenous Australians to create wealth, accumulate assets and achieve their financial aspirations. It does this by building mutually respectful and responsible partnerships with Indigenous Australians and government, non-government and private sector organisations to enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to own their own homes and businesses, and to participate in commercial enterprise.
The Legal Services team is responsible for providing legal advice and support to all areas of IBA (Homes, Enterprises, Investments and Corporate), including to the Executive, Board and Board committees.
The successful applicant will advise on a diverse range of commercial and administrative matters to promote IBA’s vision. They will engage with all of IBA’s business areas and work as part of an as part of the dynamic and innovative Legal Services team with the support and supervision of the General Counsel and Senior Lawyers. The position is offered as a 12month contract role.
- Provide legal advice to IBA’s business areas on a diverse range of matters including: transactional work (including acquisitions, divestments, development of new products and corporate structuring), negotiation of commercial agreements (including leases, services agreements and confidentiality agreements), employment matters, finance and debt recovery matters, statutory interpretation, ministerial reporting, administrative law matters, funds management, intellectual property matters and dispute resolution matters (including complaints handling);
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a precedent bank of standard contracts and legal advices;
- Develop knowledge and capacity across IBA to manage legal risks and issues, including by preparing and delivering training to IBA staff and stakeholders;
- Sourcing external legal advice, when necessary, including assisting business areas obtain value for money for legal services; and
- Improve IBA’s corporate governance, including by assisting to develop policies and procedures.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge and Experience
- An understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Experience in providing practical legal advice on issues relating to commercial and administrative law and governance.
- Experience in drafting and reviewing legal documents.
Skills and Attributes
- Well-developed oral and written communication, influencing and conflict resolution skills, including demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with non-lawyers and the ability to explain legal issues concisely.
- Personal drive and integrity, including sound judgement and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Experience in working effectively and independently in a high volume environment and ability to meet commercial deadlines.
- A degree in law from an Australian university or the equivalent, admission as a legal practitioner in Australia and between two and five years post admission experience.
- Capacity to travel on occasion, which may include overnight travel.