|Level||IBA Level 5 ($86,365 – $95,753)|
|Duration||3 year contract|
|Contact||Daniel Segura via phone 0424 872 444 or email|
|Closing date||27 February 2019|
|Applications||How to apply for this role|
Indigenous Business Australia is a unique organisation that promotes and encourages self-management, self-sufficiency and economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Established under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005, IBA’s programs provide the means for Indigenous Australians to create wealth and accumulate assets, take up investment opportunities, create business enterprises that provide additional employment opportunities, and to purchase homes.
It achieves these outcomes by applying a commercial focus, and by building mutually respectful and productive partnerships with Indigenous Australians, government, non-government and private sector organisations.
The Business Development team supports aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups and established businesses to develop their capabilities and take full advantage of their opportunities. The team also assists Indigenous entrepreneurs and businesses to develop financial proposals, risk management plans and finance applications.
The Senior Business Development Officer reports to the Team Leader. They have management responsibility for team workload distribution and supporting the team’s development of commercial credit submissions to the Credit Assessment team. The Senior Business Development Officer will work with a significant degree of independence and under limited supervision and direction.
- Develop and maintain respectful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities
- Build and manage networks of stakeholders, working partnerships and external resources to identify and build a pipeline of potential customers who are aspiring, start-up or existing business operators.
- Develop commercial credit submissions to the Credit Assessment Team
- Work closely with customers to assess their business readiness and establish a development pathway into business
- Provide support and guidance to customers to develop their business and finance proposals
- Provide guidance and linkages to resources that support customers’ development of capabilities, industry knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, necessary to establish and operate a viable business.
- Administer, facilitate and build participation in business information sessions, seminars & workshops including in regional and remote locations.
- Identify, gather and analyse local and regional economic opportunities and market intelligence.
- Accurately capture, manage and report information.
- Exercise delegations in accordance with IBA policy & procedure.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
Display Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural capability including having:
- awareness and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and culture as well as the demonstrated ability to liaise, communicate and negotiate sensitively and effectively with Indigenous individuals and communities.
- awareness and understanding of Australian Indigenous issues particularly as they relate to small business.
Experience and knowledge of commercial lending including the ability to assess credit applications.
Significant level of business acumen and demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of:
- business concepts/operations/management
- small business start-up and development
- risk management
Ability to deliver and/or facilitate information sessions for aspiring business owners and those wanting to grow their businesses.
Commitment to quality customer service and demonstrated ability to build beneficial working relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and customers.
- Current driver’s licence.
- Willingness and ability to undertake regional and remote travel as required, including overnight absences at least once each month.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite of products.