|Level||IBA Level 5 ($88,092 – $97,668)|
|Contact||Jack Reis on 0416 684 937 or email|
|Closing date||11 August 2019|
|Applications||Please see “How to apply” below|
Indigenous Business Australia is a unique organisation that promotes and encourages self-management, self-sufficiency and economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Established under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005, IBA’s programs provide the means for Indigenous Australians to create wealth and accumulate assets, take up investment opportunities, create business enterprises that provide additional employment opportunities, and to purchase homes.
It achieves these outcomes by applying a commercial focus, and by building mutually respectful and productive partnerships with Indigenous Australians, government, non-government and private sector organisations.
The Business Development team will support aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups and established businesses to develop their capabilities and take full advantage of their opportunities. The team will also assist Indigenous entrepreneurs and businesses to develop financial proposals, risk management plans and finance applications.
The Senior Business Development Officer reports to the Team Leader. They will have management responsibility for team workload distribution and supporting the team’s development of commercial credit submissions to the Credit Assessment team. The Senior Start-ups and Development Officer will work with a significant degree of independence and under limited supervision and direction.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Build and manage networks of stakeholders, working partnerships and external resources to identify and build a pipeline of potential customers who are aspiring, start-up or existing business operators
- Develop commercial credit submissions to the Credit Assessment Team
- Work closely with customers to assess their business readiness and establish a development pathway into business
- Provide support and guidance to customers to develop their business and finance proposals
- Provide guidance and linkages to resources that supports customers’ development of personal characteristics, capabilities, industry knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, necessary to establish and operate a viable business
- Administer, facilitate and build participation in business information sessions, seminars & workshops including in regional and remote locations
- Accurately capture, manage and report information
- Exercise Delegations in accordance with IBA policy & procedure.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
- Displays Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural capability:
- Awareness and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and culture as well as the demonstrated ability to liaise, communicate and negotiate sensitively and effectively with Indigenous individuals and communities.
- Awareness and understanding of Australian Indigenous issues particularly as they relate to small business.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of commercial lending and credit assessment with ability to write, assess and manage credit applications, as well as to undertake financial analysis to evaluate businesses, projects and budgets, and provide guidance to customers.
- Significant level of business acumen and demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of:
- business concepts/operations/management,
- small business start-up and development,
- risk identification, assessment, control, mitigation, monitoring & control.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly effective in workshop facilitation and in the delivery of group information sessions and seminars aimed at aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups, and growing businesses.
- Demonstrated experience and significant ability to build beneficial working relationships with stakeholders & customers, having a significant level of customer focus, commitment to quality customer service and the customer being at the centre of everything.
- Significant ability to manage a team and be effective as a team member under limited supervision and direction.
- Significant personal drive and integrity including:
- professionalism and probity
- Engaging with risk and showing personal courage
- Promoting and adopting a positive & balanced approach to work
- self-awareness and commitment to personal development
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft suite of products – primarily Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Current driver’s licence.
- Willingness and ability to undertake regional and remote travel as required, including overnight absences at least once each month.
How to apply
Applicants must include the following with their application:
- Completed Job Application Coversheet (PDF 600KB opens in new window) – We recommend users edit the form using the latest version of Adobe Reader (available to download for free from the Adobe website).
- A copy of your Resume
- A statement outlining your claims against each of the required capabilities for the position.
Applications should be sent by email to [email protected]