|Level||IBA Level 7 ($131,148-$153,663)|
|Location||Brisbane, Sydney, Perth or Melbourne|
|Program||Investment & Asset Management|
|Contact||Cronje Wolvaardt on 08 9229 1413 or email|
|Closing date||24 April 2019|
|Applications||Please see “How to apply” below|
Indigenous Business Australia is a unique organisation that promotes and encourages self-management, self-sufficiency and economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Established under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005, IBA’s programs provide the means for Indigenous Australians to create wealth and accumulate assets, take up investment opportunities, create business enterprises that provide additional employment opportunities, and to purchase homes.
It achieves these outcomes by applying a commercial focus, and by building mutually respectful and productive partnerships with Indigenous Australians, government, non-government and private sector organisations.
Investment & Asset Management
IBA’s Investment program aims to create economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples by using its capital base, skills and expertise, to build and manage a substantial portfolio of investments and generate economic impact for Indigenous Australians via financial returns, commercial capability development, employment, training and supply chain outcomes.
The program has a long history of over 20 years of successful investment alongside Indigenous organisations. The portfolio comprises over $480 million in investments across Australia in a variety of sectors, including tourism, property, funds management, energy, primary industries, industrial and retail businesses.
The primary responsibility of this role is to lead the management of the Impact Investment portfolio, including portfolio management, acquisition and divestment activity, governance, and relationship management with IBA’s partners and co-investors, as well as drive Indigenous impact and outcomes.
Additionally, the Senior Manager Impact Investment is responsible for management of the Impact Investment team including ensuring that staff are equipped to deliver into the future. The role plays an important part in assisting IBA to achieve its people goals within its five-year Strategic Plan.
The successful applicant will report to the Director, Investment & Asset Management.
- Provide leadership and support of the Impact Investment function ensuring its high performance in delivering its planned outcomes.
- Foster a collaborative, respectful and inclusive culture where the customers’ needs are paramount.
- Provide opportunities for staff members and teams to be their best.
- Drive continuous improvement through innovation, evaluation and performance monitoring.
- Lead the preparation of reporting and monitoring of the portfolio including preparing and presenting papers to the IBA Board and its Finance, Investment & Products Committee.
- Manage the governance and reporting structure of the portfolio and subsidiaries.
- Manage a team comprising portfolio managers, transaction specialists and junior staff, as well as driving staff training and development.
- Continue to improve the portfolio’s compliance, governance and risk management to ensure all regulatory and best practice requirements are met.
- Identification of new product or development initiatives, through research and evaluation of market/industry trends and legislative driven changes and management of their implementation.
- Ensure the portfolio delivers strong Indigenous impact including employment, training, procurement and capability development.
- Maintain relationships and oversight of IBA nominee directors.
- Build strong relationships with IBA’s co-investors and key stakeholders with an objective of establishing new partnerships and originating transactions.
- Oversee thorough, accurate and timely financial analysis, due diligence, financial modelling and investment thesis/business case preparation in relation to new investments, restructuring and divestments.
- Manage the efficiency, effectiveness, commercial and broader capability of the transaction team, drawing on prior experience in conducting acquisitions, restructuring and/or divestment activity.
- Interstate travel and travel to remote locations, under diverse and possibly difficult conditions will be required.
- Other duties as directed from time to time.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge and experience
- A strong understanding of the strategies, disciplines and approaches underpinning investment, including in relation to strategy development, financial/portfolio management, governance, risk management, impact creation and financial & impact reporting, including at least 10 years’ experience in similar roles.
- Sufficient knowledge of accounting, commercial and contract law as well as financial analysis, valuation, forecasting and the due diligence process, to effectively assess and acquire businesses.
- Tertiary qualifications in economics, commerce, business, accounting, actuarial studies and/or law is essential. Completed or progress towards relevant professional qualifications such as CPA/CA, CFA, MBA, MappFin viewed favourably.
- An understanding of the roles and duties applicable to that of a company director as well as an understanding of corporate governance and risk.
- Awareness of the economic development aspirations of, and commitment to working ethically with and in the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Skills and attributes
- Cultural capability including a respect for diversity and ability to communicate sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- People management skills including an ability to harness capability to deliver results.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including the ability to convey complex technical material clearly and simply, as well as the ability to present to boards.
- Ability to manage own workload to deliver results within deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to develop relationships at all levels and provide high quality customer service.
How to apply
Applicants must include the following with their application:
- Completed Job Application Coversheet (PDF 600KB opens in new window) – We recommend users edit the form using the latest version of Adobe Reader (available to download for free from the Adobe website).
- A copy of your Resume
- A statement outlining your claims against each of the required capabilities for the position.
Applications should be sent by email to [email protected]