|Level||IBA Level 6 ($110,737 – $122,940)|
|Location||Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Canberra or Melbourne|
|Program||Investment & Asset Management|
|Section||Investment & Asset Management|
|Contact||Cronje Wolvaardt on 08 9229 1413 or email|
|Closing date||6 December 2019|
|Applications||How to apply for this role|
Indigenous Business Australia, partners and invests with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who want to own their future. We go further than provide money; we invest in people, places and ideas that are ready. We help make them real. We’re deeply invested in the financial success and economic independence of Indigenous Australians. It’s why we exist.
We provide a range of services for Indigenous Australians to create wealth and accumulate assets, take up investment opportunities, create business enterprises that provide additional employment opportunities, and to purchase homes. We achieve these outcomes by applying a commercial focus, and by building mutually respectful and productive partnerships with Indigenous Australians, government, non-government and private sector organisations.
Our staff are invested, informed, responsive, respected and connected.
Our Investment & Asset Management activities
IBA’s investment program has a 20-year track record of successful investment alongside Indigenous organisations. The portfolio comprises $480 million in investments across over 40 subsidiary entities in a variety of sectors, including tourism, property, funds management, energy, primary industries, industrial and retail businesses.
We are seeking a high performing governance specialist to join IBA as our Manager, Investment Governance. This role will appeal to energetic, practical candidates who thrive on complexity, and who are ready for a role with a greater purpose. The successful candidate will be the leading governance specialist managing the corporate governance of IBA’s interests in a diverse portfolio of subsidiary companies, trusts, partnerships and unincorporated joint ventures. This role supplements and will work closely with IBA’s established legal, company secretarial and risk functions.
As IBA’s Manager, Investment Governance, you will report to the Director, Investment & Asset Management and the Head of Direct Investments.
You will be responsible for:
- administering the governance frameworks, policies and processes applying to IBA’s interests in a diverse portfolio of subsidiary companies, trusts, partnerships and unincorporated joint ventures. This will include:
- maintaining close and constructive contact with stakeholders across the portfolio, and supporting them to address any practical challenges in complying with the IBA Subsidiary Governance Framework;
- developing and delivering an annual risk-based assurance programme using monitoring techniques such as desktop reviews, interviews or walk-throughs to assess compliance with IBA policies, including the Subsidiary Governance Framework; and
- preparing routine and ad hoc management and Board reporting identifying any material governance issues or assurance findings;
- applying your subject matter expertise to identify potential risk and governance issues in the portfolio, as well as opportunities to integrate best practice. This will include:
- providing ad hoc written or verbal advice on risk and governance issues, ensuing this advice is expressed in plain English and tailored to the relevant facts;
- developing and delivering an annual risk-based awareness programme using communication techniques such as face to face training, scenario-based workshops, e-learning or a written communications strategy;
- ensuring senior management and impacted employees are aware of effective or emerging regulatory change and its potential impact on the governance of the portfolio;
- efficiently delivering a programme of risk-based continuous improvement in consultation with stakeholders and senior management; and
- other duties as directed from time to time.
You must have tertiary qualifications in law, commerce or finance, and at least 5 years’ professional experience dealing with corporate governance issues in an advisory capacity.
You must be aware of the economic development aspirations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and committed to working ethically within, and in the interests of, these communities. In this context, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
- You will have a well-developed professional judgment: you will call upon your technical advisory experience to deal calmly with complex or ambiguous situations.
- You will have strong interpersonal and influencing skills: you will use your polished written and verbal communication skills to explain complex issues in plain English, developing trust and influence with IBA’s partners, co-investors and stakeholders. If you are not Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander yourself, you will show intercultural intelligence in the way that you communicate with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that IBA exists to serve.
- You will have strong administrative and organisational skills: you will use these skills to marshal the substantial body of technical detail associated with IBA’s diverse portfolio of interests, and to orchestrate stakeholders’ compliance with the IBA policy framework, including the Subsidiary Governance Framework.
- You will have a strong ethic of service: you will earn a reputation as a talented and authentic collaborator, energised by the chance to support emerging Indigenous ventures as they achieve self-management and economic self-sufficiency.
- You will be resilient and self-sufficient: you will be comfortable travelling interstate and/or to remote locations independently if required.
How to apply
Applicants must include the following with their application:
- Completed Job Application Coversheet (PDF 600KB opens in new window) – We recommend users edit the form using the latest version of Adobe Reader (available to download for free from the Adobe website).
- A copy of your Resume
- A statement outlining your claims against each of the required capabilities for the position.
Applications should be sent by email to mailto:[email protected]