|Level||IBA Level 4 ($77,195 – $81,856) Affirmative Measures|
|Location||Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne|
|Program||Investment & Asset Management|
|Contact||Mahommed Tilly on 07 3008 8338 or email|
|Closing date||24 April 2019|
|Applications||Please see “How to apply” below|
Indigenous Business Australia is a unique organisation that promotes and encourages self-management, self-sufficiency and economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Established under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005, IBA’s programs provide the means for Indigenous Australians to create wealth and accumulate assets, take up investment opportunities, create business enterprises that provide additional employment opportunities, and to purchase homes.
It achieves these outcomes by applying a commercial focus, and by building mutually respectful and productive partnerships with Indigenous Australians, government, non-government and private sector organisations.
Investment & Asset Management:
IBA’s Investment program aims to create economic independence for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples by using its capital base, skills and expertise, to build and manage a substantial portfolio of investments and generate economic impact for Indigenous Australians via financial returns, commercial capability development, employment, training and supply chain outcomes.
The program has a long history of over 20 years of successful investment alongside Indigenous organisations. The portfolio comprises over $480 million in investments across Australia in a variety of sectors, including tourism, property, funds management, energy, primary industries, industrial and retail businesses.
IBA Investments seeks to appoint an Associate, Impact Investment.
The successful applicant will play a key role in:
- Assisting the Managers and Senior Manager monitor and manage IBA’s Impact Investment portfolio in order to drive strong financial performance and economic impact in accordance with IBA’s Investment and sector-based strategies.
- Participating in new investment opportunities, as well as actioning divestment decisions, with the support of relevant IBA Investments specialists.
- Assisting the Managers and Senior Manager develop business proposals in conjunction with Indigenous, professional and capability partners, and undertake rigorous financial analysis and due diligence prior to Board approval.
- Assisting with general administrative functions in relation to IBA’s Impact Investment portfolio.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Manager/Senior Manager to conduct thorough, accurate and timely analysis of the performance of investments in the portfolio.
- Assisting the Manager/Senior Manager to conduct thorough, accurate and timely financial analysis and financial modelling and investment thesis/business case preparation in relation to new investments, restructuring and divestments.
- Under supervision, assessing the economic development impact and potential of new investments.
- With direct guidance, starting to develop industry expertise in transaction assessment, structuring and execution.
- With the guidance of the Manager/Senior Manager, attending client facing meetings with a view to creating networks of Indigenous and Corporate contacts.
- Providing input to Board and Board committee papers as required.
- In conjunction with other IBA units and Senior Manager, implementing business level plans to enhance economic development, Indigenous engagement and capacity building across the Impact Investment portfolio.
- Delivering high quality and effective service to clients, co-investors and capability partners and developing effective and rewarding relationships with management at investee entities.
- Coordinating the timely participation in and delivery of IBA investments valuation, annual audit, portfolio monitoring and impact measurement and reporting approach.
- Interstate travel and travel to remote locations, under diverse and possibly difficult conditions will be required.
- Further integrating and enhancing IBA Investment valuations, portfolio monitoring and impact measurement and reporting approach.
Required capabilities (selection criteria)
These are essential unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in business, economics, commerce, accounting or other related fields.
- A strong understanding of investment and/or financial analysis and demonstrated experience in the interpretation of financial statements.
- Intermediate to advance level experience using Excel.
- Awareness of the economic development aspirations of, and commitment to working ethically with and in the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- An understanding of the strategies, disciplines and approaches underpinning investment.
Skills and attributes
- Strong analytical and lateral-thinking skills.
- Self-starting, results-oriented and ability to take ownership of initiatives and drive them to completion.
- Well-developed organisation, planning and prioritisation skills. A high level of attention to detail and diligence, supported by a strong work ethic. Possesses the energy, commitment and diligence to meet deadlines and/or to manage the expectations of others.
- Cultural capability including a respect for diversity and ability to communicate sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to write professionally, concisely and with clarity; and the ability to present to other individuals or groups.
*This position is being advertised under provisions of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 that enable affirmative measures to identify particular opportunities as open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants.
How to apply
Applicants must include the following with their application:
- Completed Job Application Coversheet (PDF 600KB opens in new window) – We recommend users edit the form using the latest version of Adobe Reader (available to download for free from the Adobe website).
- A copy of your Resume
- A statement outlining your claims against each of the required capabilities for the position.
Applications should be sent by email to [email protected]